2 min read
Plant Based Protein Burger
Vegan friendly, Nut free, Dairy free, Gluten free option
For the burger patty:
- 6 portobello mushrooms, chopped roughly into small pieces
- 400g tinned cannellini beans
- 4 x soft (pitted) medjool dates
- 200g over-cooked brown rice (cooled)
- 25g (1 serve) Nuzest Clean Lean Protein Just Natural
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hulled tahini
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tsp lemon/lime zest
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- Small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the rest of the burger:
- 6 x seeded wholemeal burger buns (or GF buns for a GF option)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can sliced beetroot
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 6 slices vegan cheese (optional)
- Spinach or lettuce leaves
- Your choice of dressing, e.g. tomato ketchup.
- Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and heat the mushrooms and thyme on medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Fry the mushrooms until their liquid has evaporated and they are slightly browned and then turn the pan off and transfer the mushrooms to a bowl to cool.
- Drain the cannellini beans and blitz them in a food processor with the dates, garlic, parsley, tahini and tamari, pulsing until the mixture is relatively smooth.
- Transfer the bean mix to a large mixing bowl and add the rice, protein, lemon zest and mushrooms. Mix until combined.
- Cover the mixture and leave to settle in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 230C and prepare to get messy!
- Using your hands, divide the mixture into 6 portions and shape into your burger patties. Place the patties onto a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until brown. If you like cheese, place a slice of vegan cheese on top of the patty for the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Cut the buns in half and toast them lightly whilst preparing your burger toppings.
- Smear ketchup on both sides of the bun and fill with all ingredients.